Vita[recensere | fontem recensere]
Fridericus Simoons natus est Philadelphiae die 2 Novembris 1922. Alumnus est universitatis Rutgersensis et Californiensis apud quem in campo Berkeley gradum doctoratus anno 1952 meruit. Ab anno 1969 est professor geographiae apud eandem universitatem in urbe Davis institutam.
Opera[recensere | fontem recensere]
Libri[recensere | fontem recensere]
- Northwest Ethiopia: Peoples and Economy. Madison: Univ. of Wisconsin Press, 250 pp., 1960. [Reprinted by Greenwood Press, Westport, Conn., 1983]
- Eat Not This Flesh: Food Avoidances in the Old World. Madison: Univ. of Wisconsin Press, 229 pp., 1961. [Reprinted by Greenwood Press, 1981]
- A Ceremonial Ox of India: The Mithan in Nature, Culture, and History. (with Elizabeth S. Simoons) Madison: Univ. of Wisconsin Press, 323 pp., 1968.
- Plants of Life, Plants of Death.
Commentationes[recensere | fontem recensere]
- "Nineteenth-century mines and mineral spring resorts of Lake County, California." California Journal of Mines and Geology, 50:295-319, 1954.
- "The non-milking area of Africa." Anthropos, 49:58-66, 1954.
- "The agricultural implements and cutting tools of Begemder and Semyen, Ethiopia." Southwestern Journal of Anthropology, 14:386-406, 1958.
- "Snow in Ethiopia: a review of the evidence." Geographical Review, 50:402-411, 1960.
- "Some questions on the economic prehistory of Ethiopia." Journal of African History, 6:1-13, 1965. [Reprinted in J.D. Fage and R.A. Oliver (eds.), Papers in African Prehistory. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1970.]
- "Primary adult lactose intolerance and the milking habit: a problem in biological and cultural interrelations. I. review of the medical research." The American Journal of Digestive Diseases, 14:819-836, 1969.
- "The traditional limits of milking and milk use in southern Asia." Anthropos, 65:547-593, I970.
- "Primary adult lactose intolerance and the milking habit: a problem in biological and cultural interrelations. II. a culture historical hypothesis." The American Journal of Digestive Diseases, 15:695-710, I970.
- "The antiquity of dairying in Asia and Africa." Geographical Review, 61:431-439, 1971. JSTOR
- "New light on ethnic differences in adult lactose intolerance." The American Journal of Digestive Diseases, 18:595-611, 1973.
- "The determinants of dairying and milk use in the old world: ecological, physiological, and cultural." Ecology of Food and Nutrition, 2: 83-90, 1973. [Reprinted in J.R.K. Robson (ed.), Food, Ecology and Culture. New York and London: Gordon and Breach, 1980.]
- "The sacred cow and the consitution of India." Ecology of Food and Nutrition, 2:281-295, 1973. [Reprinted in J.R.K. Robson (ed.), Food, Ecology and Culture. New York and London: Gordon and Breach, 1980.]
- "The purificatory role of 'the five products of the cow' in Hinduism." Ecology of Food and Nutrition, 3:21-34, 1974.
- "Rejection of fish as human food in Africa: a problem in history and ecology." Ecology of Food and Nutrition, 3:89-105, 1974.
- "Primary adult lactose intolerance and culture history." Modern Problems in Pediatrics, 15:125-141, 1974.
- "Fish as forbidden food: the case of India." Ecology of Food and Nutrition, 3:185-201, 1974.
- "Contemporary research themes in the cultural geography of domesticated animals." 64:557-576, 1974.
- "Lactose malabsorption: its biology and history." Advances in Pediatrics, 21:197-237, 1974. (with John D. Johnson and Norman Kretchmer)
- "Food habits as influenced by human culture: approaches in anthropology and geography." In Trevor Silerstone (ed.), Appetite and Food Intake, Life Sciences Report 2. Berlin: Dahlem Konferenzen, pp. 313-329, 1976.
- "Geographic perspectives on man's food quest." In Dwain N. Walcher, Norman Kretchmer, and Henry L. Barnett (eds.), Food, Man, and Society. New York and London: Plenum Press, pp. 31-53, 1976.
- "Perspective on milk drinking and malabsorption of lactose." (with John D. Johnson and Norman Kretchmer) Pediatrics, 59:98-109, 1977.
- "Lactose malabsorption among the Pima Indians of Arizona." (with John D. Johnson et al.) Gastroenterology, 73:1299-1304, 1977.
- "Lactose malabsorption among adult Indians of the Great Basin and American southwest." (with John D. Johnson et al.) American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 31:381-387, 1978.
- "Traditional use and avoidance of foods of animal origin: a culture historical view." Bioscience, 28:178-184, 1978.
- "Lactose malabsorption in Africa." African Economic History, 5:16-34, Spring, 1978.
- "The geographic hypothesis and lactose malabsorption: a weighing of the evidence." American Journal of Digestive Diseases, 23:963-980, 1978.
- "Questions in the sacred cow controversy." Current Anthropology, 20(3): 467-493, 1979.
- "Dairying, milk use, and lactose malabsorption in Eurasia: a problem in culture history." Anthropos, 74:61-80, 1979.
- "Cultural deterrents to use of fish as human food." Oceanus: The International Magazine of Marine Science, 22:67-71, 1979. (with Barbel Schöenfeld-Leber and Helen L. Issel).
- "Geographical and historical approaches." International Journal of Obesity, 4:387-394, 1980.
- "Geographic patterns of lactose malabsorption: a further interpretation of evidence for the old world." In David M. Paige and Theodore M. Bayless (eds.), Lactose Digestion: Clinical and Nutritional Consequences. Baltimore and London: The Johns Hopkins University Press, pp. 23-48, 1981.
- "Celiac disease as a geographic problem." In Dwain N. Walcher and Norman Kretchmer (eds.), Food, Nutrition and Evolution: Food as an Environmental Factor in the Genesis of Human Variability. New York, Paris, Barcelona, Mexico City, Rio de Janeiro: Masson Publishing, pp. 179-199, 1981.
- "Dogs as human food in northwest Africa." Appetite: Journal for Intake Research, 2:253-266, 1981.
- "Background to understanding the cattle situation of India: the sacred cow concept in Hindu religion and folk culture." (with Deryck 0. Lodrick) Zeitschrift für Ethnologie, 106(1-2):121-137, 1981.
- "The traditional role of the Mithan or Gayal among the Aka of Arunachal Pradesh, India." (with Elizabeth S. Simoons) Journal of Cultural Geography, 2(1):1-12, Fall/Winter, 1981.
- "Breast-feeding of animals by women: its sociocultural context and geographic occurrence." (with James A. Baldwin) Anthropos, 77:421-448, 1982.
- "The sacred cow concept of India: its impact on other bovines, economic life, and human genetics." In Allen G. Noble and Ashok K. Dutt (eds.), India: Cultural Patterns and Processes. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, pp. 267-285, 1982.
- "Problems in the use of animal products as human food: some ethnographical and historical problems." In D.C. Beitz and R.G. Hanson (eds.), Animal Products in Human Nutrition. New York: The Academic Press, pp. 19-34, 1982.
- "Geography and genetics as factors in the psychobiology of food selection." In L.M. Barker, The Psychobiology of Human Food Selection. Westport, Conn.: AVI Publishing Co., pp. 205-224, 1982.
- "A geographic approach to senile cataracts: possible links with milk consumption, lactase activity, and galactose metabolism." Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 27(3):257-264, March, 1982.
- "Gayal or mithan." Chapter 4. In I.L. Mason (ed.), Evolution of Domesticated Animals. Harlow, Essex: Longman, pp. 34-39, 1983.
Nexus externi[recensere | fontem recensere]
|Haec stipula ad biographiam spectat. , si potes!|