Disputatio:As You Like It
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dramatis Personae[fontem recensere]
Some of my choises were:
- AMBIANUS for Amiens because the Latin name of the French city to which Shakespeare's choice of a name alludes is Ambianum, -i (n.)
- Iohannes SECESSUS for Jaques because his name can be French for John but also a disguised reference to a "jakes" (lavatory, privy, latrine), and "secessus" is a euphemism for "latrina", or "forica"
- KALOS (Greek for Handsome) for Le Beau because I believe Greek is to Latin what French is to English in Shakespeare
- Dominus Rolandus a Burdigala for Sir Rowland de Boys because in Lodge's Rosalynde (Shakespeare's source), his name is Sir John of Bordeaux (Burdigala)
- LYDIUS LAPIS for Touchstone because a "touchstone" is a "Lydius lapis"
- DOMINUS OLIVERIUS CORRUPTELA for Sir Oliver Martext because of the pun on "Mar text" and "corruptela"
- CORIDON for Corin because that's a classical version of the name.